Take a look through my lens...the world is amazing!

Travel To...

Receive visual guidance for major destinations in the following locations including National Parks, major tourist attractions, hotel/lodge recommendations, and other activities:

Travel to...

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Drakensberg Mountains, Free State, South Africa

After work, one New Year's Eve, we were headed to meet friends for a night in the Drakensberg Mountains outside Harrismith, South Africa. During our drive I noticed a pond, in an empty field, full of large birds. As we got closer I saw they were flamingos! I wanted so badly to stop but it was getting late and I knew we would never find where we needed to be in the dark.

Lucky for me, on our way home the next day, the flamingos were still hanging out in the same spot. My husband pulled over and waited in the car while I jumped over a small fence and slowly walked out into the field. I crept slowly across the field and just as I was getting close they suddenly took flight. I must have startled them but without warning they took to the skies. It was spectacular! They circled around above me a few times and then flew off into the clouds...so glad we took the time to stop!

To see more of these amazing birds in flight check out my Instagram feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment